Copyright © 2017 California Project LEAN. All rights reserved.
Elementary School Calculator
Click here for a list of Elementary exemptions
The only other foods allowed for sale in elementary schools are dairy items and whole grain food items. Click here for a definition of whole grain foods.
Your dairy item or whole grain food item must be 175 calories or less per container to be sold in elementary schools. If the number of calories per container is higher than 175, the food cannot be sold in the container and the food must be repackaged in a smaller serving size. Enter information from the Nutrition Facts label to determine how many calories your container has:
"Whole Grain" means:
- For purchased grain or bread products:
- A product that contains the following statement: "Diets rich in whole grain foods and other plant foods and low in total fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol, may help reduce the risk of heart disease and certain cancers" or
- The first listed grain ingredient is a whole grain or
- If the first listed ingredient is not specifically identified as a whole grain, documentation has been obtained within the previous 12 months from the manufacturer that lists whole grains, which, when combined, shall represent at least 51 percent of the weight of the total grains in the product.
- The weight of the whole grains shall represent at least 51 percent of the total grain weight of the product.