Copyright © 2017 California Project LEAN. All rights reserved.
Awards & Honors
- California Project LEAN recently received the 2004 Secretary's Innovation in Prevention Awards from the Department of Health and Human Services, Office of the Secretary in a ceremony held in Washington D. C. December 7, 2004. The award was to recognize the "Successful Students Through Healthy Food Policies" project, designed to increase school boards development and adoption of healthy nutrition policies.
- In 2003, Senator Tom Torlakson commended California Project LEAN's research on soda and snack foods in schools. The release of the 2002 study, "Prevalance and Specifics of District-wide Beverage Contracts in California's Largest School Districts," helped frame the basis for soda and junk food contract legislation in public schools. Additionally, he commended the Healthy Food Policy Resource Guide developed for school boards by California Project LEAN and the California School Boards Association as a useful tool for making healthy food choices more likely options in all schools. Click here to view the letter.
- Food on the Run was featured in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s new Cynergy CD-ROM, which details how a complex communications campaign that utilizes multiple channels is planned from beginning to end.
- In 2002, Senator Martha Escutia commended California Project LEAN's work on conducting and disseminating the findings of the 2000 California High School Fast Food Survey, noting it was the impetus for her legislation restricting unhealthy foods and beverages in public schools. Click here to view the letter.
- In 2002, California Project LEAN received the Exemplary Systems Award for Outstanding Application of GIS.
- Food on the Run’ s Teen Web site www.caprojectlean.org received a 2001 world wide web award.
- In 2001, California Project LEAN received top honors (a Crystal Award) from the International Association of Business Communicators, Sacramento Chapter, for its public relations campaign releasing the 2000 California High School Fast Food Survey.
- In 2001, California Project LEAN staff Vicki Berends, Cyndi Guerra Walter, Nestor Martinez and Erika Takada were selected as part of a team of 10 nationwide to serve as Social Marketing Specialists through the Center for Disease Control and Prevention and the University of South Florida.
- In 1999, California Project LEAN received a bronze award from The National Public Health Information Coalition for its "Real Women, Healthy Lives" photo-documentary project.
- In 1995, California Project LEAN received a silver award from the Sacramento Public Relations Association for its Retail (Grocery Store) Campaign.