Copyright © 2013 California Project LEAN. All rights reserved.
School Board Engagement
This Guide utilizes multiple hours of feedback and discussion with California school board members, superintendents, school principals, and parents to help community groups create "win-win" situations when working on school district nutrition and physical activity issues. The Guide helps readers convey their nutrition policy message effectively while at the same time helping school board members gain the information they need to create effective nutrition policies.
Student Wellness: A Healthy Food and Physical Activity Policy Resource Guide (Download)
Developed in collaboration with the California School Boards Association, this policy resource guide is designed for use by school board members and school administrators who want to positively affect the health of students. The guide, which was created based on feedback from school board members and superintendents, offers a step-by-step approach for creating a healthy school environment so students can practice healthy eating habits while at school.
The guide outlines the link between nutrition, physical activity and learning; addresses the nutritional and physical activity status of children and youth; highlights school districts that are successfully offering healthy foods and beverages; offers recommendations for comprehensive nutrition and physical activity policies and provides sample school district policies and tools.
- How to Establish a Comprehensive School Physical Activity Program for Your District (2010)
- Joint Use Frequently Asked Quesions fact sheet (2010)
- Active Bodies, Active Minds: Physical Activity and Academic Achievement (2010)
- Moderate to Vigorous Physical Activity in Physical Education to Improve Health and Academic Outcomes (2009)
- Maximizing Opportunities for Physical Activity During the School Day (2009)
- Journal of Physical Activity article (2010). Engaging School Governance Leaders to Influence Physical Activity Policies.
- Summary of survey findings from Physical Activity and Physical Education in California Schools: Perceptions, barriers and opportunities among California school board members (2009).
- Physical Activity and Physical Education in California Schools: A Survey of District/County Office of Education Perceptions and Practices (2009). Click here for the survey questions.
- School Wellness Policy Development,Implementation and Evaluation: Research Implications for School Board Members (2008)
- School Wellness Policy Development,Implementation and Evaluation: Research Implications for State School Board Associations (2008)
- School Wellness Policy Development,Implementation, and Evaluation Perceptions, barriers, and opportunities among school board members, state school boards associations, school wellness advocates,state public health nutrition directors, and superintendents (2008)
These policy briefs identify the perceptions, barriers, and opportunties among School Board Member, State School Boards Associations, and Superintendents. These briefs can assist School Board Member and School Administrators to implement quality school food and physical activity policies.
- Maximizing Opportunities for Physical Activity through Joint Use of Facilities (2010)
- Safe Routes to School: Program and Policy Strategies (2009)
- See the California School Boards Association's Policy Advisories and Briefs web page and look under Physical Education/Physical Activity