Copyright © 2014 California Project LEAN. All rights reserved.
Jump Start Teens (Download the Entire Guide)
Jump Start Teens is a series of eight lesson plans for use with teens; the lesson plans are real-life and cross-curricular and will educate and encourage students to eat healthy, keep moving, and take action. The lesson plans were updated in 2007 to include the most recent Dietary Guidelines for Americans, Spanish-language worksheets, and updated media resources. Jump Start Teens reinforces your curriculum with:
- Complete, easy-to-follow lessons and worksheets are teacher and student tested.
- Creative, stand-alone activities integrate nutrition and physical activity with language arts, math, science, social studies and more!
- Most hands-on lessons are short, easily taught in one class period, with links to community service through optional extensions.
- Lessons support team building among teachers, coaches and nutritional staff, as well as parents, local business, and the greater community.
To download and view each Jump Start Teens lesson, click below:
- The ABC's of Healthy Eating
- Let's Get Physical
- Teens Making a Difference
- Advertising's Hidden Messages
- It's in the Label
- Have it Your Way Fast Food
- Eating to Win
- Making News
The Parent Lesson Plans are a companion piece to Parents in Action! A Guide to Engaging Parents in Local School Wellness Policy. These lesson plans are for use by stakeholder’s working with parents and should be used in coordination with Parents in Action! These lesson plans will assist stakeholders to educate parents about local school wellness policy and empower them to become advocates for improved nutrition and physical activity environments in their child’s school.
PARENT/PROMOTORA BONE HEALTH LESSON PLANS
Huesos Fuertes, Familia Saludable (Strong Bones, Healthy Family Promotora Curriculum) (Spanish) (Download)
This Spanish-language curriculum for community health workers includes four educational sessions and corresponding handouts on osteoporosis risk factors and prevention, the importance of calcium rich foods, the importance of physical activity for bone health, and tips for overcoming barriers to improving bone health. The curriculum includes a CD-ROM with English translation of lessons and handouts.